Provide technical assistance to the veterinary department.
Under general supervision, assists veterinarians in the medical care of patients (animals) including all species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates.
- Operates the diagnostic laboratory.
- Assists in veterinary and animal emergencies.
- Organizes and maintains pharmacy including rotating inventory, removing expired products, and ordering pharmaceuticals and supplies, under the direction of veterinarians.
- Dispenses and administers medications and vaccinations as prescribed by veterinarians.
- Administers anesthesia under the direction of a veterinarian, monitors said animals under general anesthesia, and assists in surgery.
- Prepares biological specimens for shipment.
- Operates and maintains radiographic equipment.
- Supervises and performs cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of surgical instruments, equipment, and hospital and operating areas.
- Assists in any special maintenance project as required.
- Assists in maintenance of zoo hospital in a clean and orderly condition.
- Performs other related duties required by veterinarians to maintain and operate the hospital safely and efficiently.
- Assist in educational and/or research programs as requested.
- Assist in preparation and presentation of training programs for volunteers, and new employees, and staff as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, to follow oral and written instructions, and otherwise communicate effectively and efficiently with co-workers and supervisor.
- Knowledge of computer programs of basic word processing, spreadsheets, and internet database access.
- Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, our visitors, and the general public
- Ø Minimum of High School graduate or GED.
- Ø 1 – 2 years equivalent experience
- Ø 1 year of experience patient care, new program graduates will be considered.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrates an independent work initiative, sound judgment and attention to detail
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Ability to identify problems and resolve them using systems approach.
- Requires experience and demonstrated abilities for working in a multi-cultural setting.
- Ability to collaborate and interact with a diverse group of health care professionals.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work appropriately.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Although certification is not required for hire for this position, candidates must be willing to obtain certification within twelve (12) months of hire through company-sponsored training and development program.
For consideration, all candidates must successfully complete pre-employment process, which includes: skills assessment, drug & alcohol screening, interview, physical examination, etc… This position offers a competitive compensation package, outstanding benefits including Health, Dental, Disability, and Vision Insurance, 401k, and a great working environment.
- $13.25 – $37.72/hour
- 8 hour shifts
- Monday – Friday
- Full time: 40+ hours per/week
Apply Now – Create/Update Profile