Performs scrub duties. Assists in-patient care and related services in the Operating Room under the guidance of the Registered Nurse. Prepares supplies and equipment for use in surgical procedures. Participates in surgical procedures by adhering to aseptic technique, utilizing safely instruments and equipment and applying the principles of anatomy and physiology to a surgical patient. The Perioperative Coordinator acts as a preceptor to less technically prepared employees, students and others as indicated. May serve patent populations from neonate, infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult to geriatric.
- Assists in the orientation of new personnel and will orient new associates as needed and experience level will allow.
- Plans for and prepares necessary instruments, supplies, and equipment required for surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge and technical skill in the care and use of instruments, supplies and equipment used during a surgical procedure.
- Performs skin prep as directed.
- Assists in positioning and draping the patient for the appropriate procedure.
- Properly identifies and handles medication passed onto the sterile field under the direction of the RN.
- Completes accurate instrument, sponge, and sharp counts with a Registered Nurse.
- Performs scrub duties such as handling of instruments, holding retractors, cutting sutures, and maintaining a sterile field.
- Assists in transporting blood products and specimens to and from the Laboratory.
- Ensures proper care of specimens from surgical procedures.
- Performs all work in accordance with accepted standards of sanitation, safety and proper handling techniques, including sterilization and high level disinfection’s procedures.
- Assists Registered Nurse as directed.
- Develops and maintains effective communication with patients, medical staff and hospital personnel.
- Makes a conscious effort to contain costs within the department and to the patients.
- Provides general direction in clinical setting to student surgical technologists assigned to surgery.
- Assist other team members with room cleaning and turnover.
- Restocks OR rooms and supply cabinets with supplies according to departmental procedures; rotates supplies as needed.
- Be “on call” for emergencies and available for additional duty if necessary.
- Assists in maintaining equipment rooms; checks instruments that need to be sent to Material Services for processing; locates missing instruments; prepares surgeons’ instruments for following day’s schedule.
- Assist Team Coordinators with projects involving instrumentation and preference cards.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Assist in transporting patients.
- Works to maintain a positive team relationship with co-workers.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- 1 – 2 years healthcare experience
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, organization values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times
- Adheres to and exhibits our core values:
- Integrity: Moral wholeness, soundness, uprightness, honesty and sincerity as a basis of trustworthiness.
- Compassion: Feeling with others, being one with others in their sorrows and joys, rooted in the sense of solidarity as members of the human community.
- Excellence: Outstanding achievement, merit, virtue; continually surpassing standards to achieve/maintain quality.
- Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times
- Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines
- Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, residents, visitors, staff and the broader health care community
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrates an independent work initiative, sound judgment and attention to detail
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Ability to identify problems and resolve them using systems approach.
- Requires experience and demonstrated abilities for working in a multi-cultural setting.
- Ability to collaborate and interact with a diverse group of health care professionals.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work appropriately.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Although certification is not required for hire for this position, candidates must be willing to obtain certification within twelve (12) months of hire through company-sponsored training and development program.
For consideration, all candidates must successfully complete pre-employment process, which includes: skills assessment, drug & alcohol screening, interview, physical examination, etc… This position offers a competitive compensation package, outstanding benefits including Health, Dental, Disability, and Vision Insurance, 401k, and a great working environment.
- $27,256 – $53,521/annually
- 8 hour shifts
- Monday – Friday
- Full time: 40+ hours per/week
Apply Now – Create/Update Profile